Monday, March 3, 2014

What’s Revealed



After PVR’ing every episode of NHL Revealed so far, I finally started watching it during the little hiatus after Olympic hockey (farewell to watching hockey at 4:00 AM in the morning, thank God!) and before the regular season started again.

I’ve only watched two episodes so far—the Olympic ones, but I have to say that I love it. It’s so interesting and the cameramen seem to have a ton of access. You get to see the personal and personable side of many different hockey players. Frankly, everyone seems to act exactly how I’d expect them to: intense or goofy, boyish or mature, intelligent or clueless.

The show is not as intense or thematic as 24/7, but it’s a lot more fun. This season’s 24/7 was kind of disappointing, for a couple of reasons. First off, I dont think that theres a real, exciting rivalry between Detroit and Toronto. But more importantly, everyone seems to be savvy to the issues resulting from previous shows, and they were being extra careful not to reveal anything negative about themselves. Other than someone’s huge, perfectly organized closet, which was a negative for me. But then, I’m kind of a slob.

It makes me feel a little sorry for players though. People want to know so much about them, and the truth may not be as exciting as we think. To be good at something—like playing hockey—doesn’t necessarily translate into being an intriguing or inspiring person. But it’s all a part of being a celebrity, and I’m sure that being in the limelight is better than being ignored.


Anyone else watching this show? What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I loved NHL Revealed but I was left with this overbearing impression that Drew Doughty is kind of a jerk. I mean, who stands their own family up for brunch?! It had some great moments, though none greater than the bike riding montage set to a techno soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, everyone acts exactly as I thought they would! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved NHL Revealed too, even if I kept thinking it was like a clone of 24/7, down to the narrator's voice.

    Drew is a character, that's for sure. I thought it was pretty jerky as well, but who doesn't have one of those in their family? The immature flake whom everyone forgives. He's such a great player, I'm willing to forgive him a lot, but then again, I'm not a member of his family.

    There were some strange inconsistencies. HBO seemed more PC, wanting to depict them as hard-hitting serious men-on-a-mission. But they allowed the profanity, which I loved. It made it seem more real--as if I really were a fly on the wall.

    However, NHLR omitted the cursing, but showed more the player's personal sides. Oposo's baby being born. So adorable to see a new dad. Getzlaf and someone getting lost at the Olympic Village--classic! Drew flaking on his family. Either they don't have to get the footage okayed, or Drew doesn't give a fuck what people think. LOL

    I really love both shows because they show us something MORE than we can see during the games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here, we play fill-in-the-profanity. It's actually pretty easy because it's usually the same word.

      Delete